Friday, May 16, 2014

Know why I'm in A-Fork

Well this week I have learned that I am supposed to be serving in American Fork right now and that I am really needed here.  It was hard for me to accept that at first when I first got here but I know now why I am here.

We had a really good week this past week.  We were able to teach a lot.  We have a baptism this Saturday that we are really excited for! It is for a good brother, he is the fiance of a sister in our Spanish branch.  We taught him the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chastity this past Monday and he just gets everything and why it is so important that we have those commandments.  He had his baptismal interview this past Saturday and one of our zone leaders did the interview for him.  So He actually lives in Orem but we got permission to teach him because he is getting married and will be moving to American Fork.  This zone leader that interviewed him used to serve in Orem and actually got a referral for him and him and his companion always went by to his house to try and contact him but every time they went he was never home.  This Elder always felt that even though he never met him, he knew that he needed the Gospel and that somehow someway he was going to be baptized.  As he interviewed him, the Elder realized that he was the one that he tried to contact all those times when he served In Orem.  He couldn't believe it was him.  He told us the story after he interviewed him and said that this guy is golden, he is so ready to be baptized.  He told this Elder in his interview that he knows that this is the Church of Jesus Christ and he feels so right about joining and that he is looking forward to being sealed to his soon to be wife next year.  We are so excited for him! We had a lesson last night with his fiance and we taught the Plan of Salvation, the spirit was so strong in that lesson.  We are going to be meeting with them pretty much everyday this week because we have to finish teaching him the laws and ordinances. 

This week I went on exchanges with Sister Coleman, it was way fun! I was in Orem for the day.  I taught all the lessons in English which was a little different but it was still good.  On Wednesday night, one of my companions Hermana Figueroa was feeling really sick and didn't feel comfortable driving so I got permission to drive the rest of the night which was fun.  I haven't driven in a while but the main thing was that we made it home safe haha.

We are teaching this a great young man.  He is 18 years old and knows the Bible really well.  He really likes learning about other religions and is very knowledgeable.  We met with him this past week and he likes to find fault with the Book of Mormon with the Bible.  We bore our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and invited him to start reading it.  I expressed to him that he might not get an answer right away with the Book of Mormon, sometimes it takes time but I promised him that as he reads and prays with a sincere heart he would receive an answer. 

This past week I actually finished the Book of Mormon.  I started reading it in my personal studies when I was serving in Payson and I have been reading a few pages a day and I finally finished it this week.  I have learned so much from reading it this time.  I know it is the word of God and I know it is true.   I am now going to start reading the New Testament and I came up with an idea that will make my personal studies more effective.  In chapter 6 of preach my gospel it talks about Christ-like attributes.  I am going to focus on a Christlike attribute each week and read scriptures/talks that relate to that attribute and really pray that I can be stronger and better at that attribute.  This past week I started with Faith in Jesus Christ.  I have learned a lot by studying this attribute and it has really helped me with my faith.  I feel like I am trusting more in everything and know that I can turn and pray for anything when I have faith.  In preach my gospel it says "Faith includes confidence in the mission and power of the Holy Ghost.  Through faith you receive answers to your prayers and personal inspiration to guide you in the Lord's work".  I feel more confident in things and more at ease with everything as I have been increasing my faith.

Well I am about out of time.  Thanks everyone for all the love and support you have given me. I love you all!

Hermana Veronica Garces

No comments:

Post a Comment